Digital Communications Strategist
Define American is seeking an experienced, energetic, and collaborative communicator to join our team as a full-time Digital Communications Strategist. This person will explore and push the boundaries of creative thought by managing the voice of Define American across digital platforms.
Define American is a non-profit narrative change organization that uses the power of storytelling to humanize conversations about immigrants.
We are looking for an experienced, energetic, and collaborative communicator to join our team as a full-time Digital Communications Strategist. This person will explore and push the boundaries of creative thought by managing the voice of Define American across digital platforms.
The Digital Communications Strategist will be responsible for driving and executing a compelling social media and email strategy to grow community channels and shape how our online audiences engage with the Define American brand. This person will be tasked with generating content for paid and organic social media, building effective email campaigns, engaging influencers across platforms, and transforming performance metrics into an impactful digital communications strategy. The ideal candidate is a self-starter with a passion for storytelling, strong attention to detail, and the ability to turn creative strategy into a meaningful digital experience for our target audiences. This requires the candidate to be familiar with project management, overseeing workflows, social media trends and tools, analytics reporting, and copy editing. The Digital Communications Strategist will report to the Communications Director.
- Work schedule: 40 hours per week, Monday – Friday; weekend and evening work may be required on occasion
- Classification: Exempt
- Location: Remote
- Annual Compensation: Starts at $75,000; commensurate with experience
- Department: Strategic Operations, Communications
- Reports to: Communications Director
- Travel: <25%
Who we’re looking for
- An adaptable and highly-motivated self-starter with a curious mind and passion for telling humanizing stories using the latest digital tools.
- A demonstrated commitment to ensuring the stories and experiences of diverse communities and/or immigrants are reflected throughout social and email campaigns.
- Strong relationship-building and communication skills: ability to listen, ask questions, seek answers, collaborate, provide feedback, and inspire other team members.
- Strong project management and prioritization skills.
- 4+ years of digital communications experience running social media and email strategy for a social justice-oriented organization (in-house or agency).
- Hands-on experience managing the latest digital tools, including LinkedIn Ad and Twitter Ad platforms, Facebook Business Suite, Instagram, TikTok, Canva, Buffer and Asana, with the ability to learn quickly.
- Experience in project management and the ability to lead projects from ideation through deployment, including providing direction, identifying schedules, determining scope and coordinating resources in collaboration with project staff across the organization.
- Ability to see the big picture, identify emerging audiences, and use digital tactics to create smart campaigns and impact initiatives that align with Define American’s evolving brand, voice and personality.
- Background in social media and excellent writing ability with a proven track record of creating compelling content for storytelling and education purposes.
- Strong working knowledge of the digital media landscape, including how different types of content perform on different platforms.
- Ability to manage reporting of digital program metrics and synthesize data-driven insights to inform future strategic recommendations, preferably using Sprout Social.
What you’ll do
- Plan, manage and execute a scalable digital communications vision to drive Define American brand awareness, increase audience engagement, and reach new audiences through our social media channels and email campaigns.
- Work in partnership with key internal and external stakeholders to maximize social impact and deliver meaningful online campaigns that meet social channel growth goals.
- Be the content and strategy lead of the editorial calendar. Create a robust content strategy for engagement and education of our community base on Instagram, Twitter, LinkedIn, Facebook and other key platforms.
- Write emails, manage email calendars, draft digital e-newsletters, and work with the Director of Communications to create effective email content for Define American’s target audiences.
- Monitor and regularly present performance data and analytics dashboards for social and web properties to uncover areas of opportunity, influence decision making and steer organizational priorities. Experience using Sprout Social preferred.
- Collaborate with the Communications Team, Programmatic Pillar Heads, and Define American Leadership to ensure social content and email marketing materials effectively support organizational campaigns and initiatives.
- Provide thought leadership and guidance for staff on social media best practices such as content publishing guidelines, KPI benchmarks, and channel growth strategies.
- Be an active, highly engaged community manager and foster a community of action in support of Define American’s narrative goals.
- Cultivate relationships with partner organizations, influencers, celebrities and key stakeholders across digital platforms.
- Collaborate with the Strategic Growth Team to attract new donors and energize existing donors through social media channels and email campaigns.
Compensation and benefits for full-time employees
- Unlimited PTO for all staff
- Full medical, vision & dental insurance
- 401(k) match
- 12 weeks of fully paid parental leave
- Short & long-term disability coverage
- Life insurance coverage
- Internet + cell phone stipend
- Health & wellness reimbursement
- Television streaming service reimbursement
- Annual office supply stipend
- Professional development stipend
We have posted this opportunity as an Exempt staff role. We will also accept applications from individuals who wish to support Define American’s needs outlined below on an independent contractor (consultant) basis for project-based work in this area, details of which would be negotiated based on the general responsibilities outlined below. Candidates interested in working on a contractor basis should complete the online application and indicate their interest in a contractor agreement there. Note that the items listed under “Compensation and benefits for full-time employees” above are not applicable as part of independent contractor agreements and that such agreements are subject to contracting terms such as LLC contractor business structure and contractor documenting they hold professional liability coverage.
About Define American
Define American is a leading national media and culture nonprofit organization that uses the power of stories to transcend politics and elevate the conversation about immigrants, identity, and citizenship in a changing America. We were founded in 2011 by Pulitzer Prize-winning journalist Jose Antonio Vargas and named one of the world’s most innovative companies by Fast Company in 2019 and 2020.
Define American is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, physical or mental disability, national origin, veteran status, or any other basis covered by appropriate law. All employment is decided on the basis of qualifications, merit, and business need.
NOTE: Define American goes through an incredibly intentional process for hiring new team members and will accept applications on a rolling basis until the position is filled. Thank you for your patience and interest in joining our family of cultural change-makers!