Associate Director of Digital Storytelling
Define American is seeking an experienced, energetic, and detail-oriented Associate Director of Digital Storytelling to join our team. This person will be responsible for leading project management of strategic communications initiatives and using an integrated approach to maximize the impact of our narrative change work.
Define American seeks to expand our Digital Storytelling pillar with the addition of an Associate Director of Digital Storytelling. This position will report directly to the Director of Digital Storytelling and assist in the planning and execution of an innovative new strategy that combines new media research and content creation. The Associate Director of Digital Storytelling will contribute to new and ongoing projects under the Digital Storytelling pillar, including but not limited to partner co-production content, social media influencer recruitment, research assistance, video production management, and assistance with online marketing initiatives. The Associate Director will have the opportunity to contribute to exploring and executing strategies for scaling and innovating the Digital Storytelling work. The Associate Director will supervise one team member and serve as an impact-driven thought leader within the department and the broader team.
The Digital Storytelling program was established in September 2020 and lives at the intersection of content production, advocacy, and new media scholarship. While this pillar is still relatively new for Define American, the work is robust and growing, and we seek a team player with a positive outlook and willingness to learn and be flexible. There is potential that this position will require some travel for production shoots.
Work Schedule: 40 hours per week, Monday – Friday; non-traditional hours may be required at times.
Salary: Salary range is $90,000-$105,000, commensurate with experience
Department: Digital Storytelling
Reports To: Director of Digital Storytelling
Who we’re looking for
- An adaptable and highly motivated self-starter with a curious mind and passion for Define American’s mission.
- Experience facilitating paperwork and contract negotiation
- Experience in branded content production, particularly talent recruitment
- Experience collaborating with digital media content creators.
- Proven expertise in social media and online marketing experience.
- Goal orientation, with comfort working with some ambiguity in a growth environment.
- On-set cinematography or producer experience is a plus
- Strong communication and writing skills.
- A self-starter who has the proven ability to work both as a part of a team and independently and the ability to work remotely.
- Organizational skills and proficiency in Powerpoint, Excel, project management tools (Asana), and all Google applications are a plus.
- 5+ years of extensive experience with digital media marketing and talent negotiation.
- 3+ years of demonstrated leadership skills and experience in planning, managing, and executing events is necessary.
- Cultural competency around immigrant communities and/or historically marginalized communities.
What you’ll do
The Associate Director of Digital Storytelling will have a direct and positive impact on the outcomes of Define American by:
- Core Responsibilities:
- Manage Co-Production Development and Distribution (including supervising Manager of Digital Storytelling)
- Supervise and partner with the Manager of Digital Storytelling on full co-production processes
- Oversee and directly support talent outreach for content co-productions
- Lead the strategy for establishing and maintaining creative partner relationships and project communications.
- Track success metrics of content production
- Liaise between talent, production team, and partners, and Define American
- Cultivate and manage important relationships with digital media content creators.
- Oversee Implementation of Departmental Initiatives
- Provide day-to-day leadership and project management for selected initiatives, both with external stakeholders (e.g., partner capacity-building projects and workshops) and internal collaborations (e.g., research collaborations)
- Hire and manage external vendors for one-off projects as appropriate
- Support and attend partner meetings, festivals, and tentpole industry events — managing deliverables, and coordinating schedules and logistics when needed.
- Coordinate and collaborate with the research team.
- Represent Define American and the intersectional fields Digital Storytelling works in with leadership and professionalism.
- Collaborate to Support Impact and Scale
- Work in collaboration with the Director of Digital Storytelling and others to develop, test, and iterate on strategies for impact and scale.
- Communicate effectively on behalf of the department in teaching team members across the organization about the work of the department and connected fields.
Compensation & Benefits
- Unlimited PTO for all staff
- Full medical, vision & dental insurance
- 401(k) match
- 12 weeks of fully paid parental leave
- Short & long-term disability coverage
- Life insurance coverage
- Internet + cell phone stipend
- Health & Wellness reimbursement
- Television streaming service reimbursement
- Professional development stipend
We have posted this opportunity as an Exempt staff role. We will also accept applications from individuals who wish to support Define American’s needs outlined above on an independent contractor (consultant) basis for project-based work in this area, details of which would be negotiated based on the general responsibilities outlined below. Candidates interested in working on a contractor basis should complete the online application and indicate their interest in a contractor agreement. Note that the items listed under “Compensation and benefits” above are not applicable as part of independent contractor agreements and that such agreements are subject to contracting terms such as LLC contractor business structure and contractor documenting they hold professional liability coverage.