Join the Define American team
All job, internship, and fellowship postings will be added to this page. If you have an unsolicited proposal for an internship or a volunteer project, please email your portfolio of work with your proposal to [email protected]
At Define American, we’re building an America that belongs to any person who calls this country home. With thousands of supporters across the country, we are building a country that embraces and welcomes all people, giving them an opportunity to practice citizenship regardless of the circumstances of their birth. For us, citizenship is not the possession of papers, or lack thereof; it is belonging to a community that loves, and having the opportunity to realize families’ dreams. And this citizenship cannot be defined by one’s bloodline and or the soil within our borders because it is created every day through the work, ideals, and values and participation of all who seek the American experience.
If you share that vision, we want you to join our movement.
We are the nation’s leading nonprofit immigration advocacy and culture change organization that fights injustice and anti-immigrant hate through the power of storytelling and narrative change. Through media consulting and creation, grassroots organizing, and event curation, Define American jumpstarts widespread and culture change around citizenship, race, and identity in a changing America.
We are a remote-working organization, with an office in Los Angeles. Our hiring process is an intentional one, which may involve a written assessment of skills when an in-person interview cannot be facilitated.
We are an equal opportunity employer and 501(c)(3) non-profit charitable organization. We encourage applications from all individuals regardless of age, gender, race, ethnicity, religion, or sexual orientation, and evaluate all candidates based on merit.
Digital Organizing Director
The Digital Organizing Director will lead holistic strategies intended to win a more inclusive nation, building on Define American’s and our allies’ strengths and developing new campaigns and relationships with passion and creativity. In addition to overseeing national media and culture campaigns, this director will oversee the Define American Chapters Program, which currently houses over 61 active chapters across the country that are bringing our mission to local communities. The person in this position will focus simultaneously on the local cultural and media landscapes and federal dynamics, with the ability to see – and seize – opportunities to advance the campaign and chapters’ cultural goals. The campaign and chapters director will work jointly with the Creative Initiatives (and Entertainment Media) and Communications Teams, and under the direct supervision of the Executive Director.
The campaign and chapters director will work closely with Define American organizational leaders and the chapters’ leadership. The campaign and chapters director will:
- Help create and provide day-to-day management for overseeing a campaign and chapters plan that will advance humanizing portrayals of immigrants in media and culture. This includes driving strategies around our #WordsMatter, #SourcesMatter, and pop culture campaigns.
- Develop relationships with and facilitate the engagement of advocates and influencers at the national and local levels.
- In consultation with Define American staff, help develop more robust chapter-based efforts to promote cultural inclusion, including advising chapters on strategy. Initiate, help develop and disseminate high-impact toolkits, explainer, outreach and engagement materials for all key stakeholders, and work with staff to develop reports, issue briefs and other cultural- and research-based products to advance the campaign and chapters’ goals.
- Lead activities of Define American’s existing coalition work in the immigrant justice space, advise partners on strategic opportunities and represent the Define American in other coalitions (or oversee staff who are doing so).
- Supervise activities of staff who manage day-to-day work with advocacy partners, private sector stakeholders, coalition partners and researchers related to immigration and American identity and, in some cases, other intersectional issues.
- Participate in building and nurturing funder relationships.
Qualifications and Attributes
- Eight or more years of progressively responsible work experience in media campaign, digital organizing, chapter-related work, or both.
- Prior experience leading or co-leading a national coalition – or strong working relationships with a range of advocacy organizations relevant to American identity – and a genuine desire to work in close partnership with other advocacy organizations and allies to win campaigns that improve structural deterrents to more positive portrayals of new Americans.
- Experience working in racially diverse teams and coalitions, and creating equitable and inclusive environments, with an ability to build strong, trusting relationships that include seeking and adapting to perspectives from all members.
- Sophisticated understanding of the online organizing space, with experience utilizing new digital tools and implementing best practices and innovative strategies to grow and sustain supporters and ultimately win campaigns.
- Appreciation of media moments and how to use them to create positive long-term narrative change.
- Sophisticated understanding of the inter-related nature and media dynamics of a range of economic, health, gender and other domestic policies that impact immigrant families.
- The ability to communicate clearly and persuasively in written documents and oral presentations – leveraging data, narrative and your intrinsic passion to motivate, persuade and mobilize a diverse range of stakeholders.
- Demonstrated skill and comfort managing mid- and junior-level staff and pride in fostering respectful team dynamics.
- Eagerness to work closely with a highly energetic, detail-oriented and passionate Executive Director, organizational leaders and peers.
- Ability to integrate into a fast-paced, team-first work environment, embracing and supporting coworkers in their objectives and goals as necessary.
- Ability and willingness to work on evenings and weekends to attend events or conferences, and to travel occasionally.
- This position can be remote or in our LA or Louisville office. Applicants throughout the United States will be considered.
- Salary is competitive and commensurate with experience
- Comprehensive benefits package that includes health, dental, vision and life insurance coverage; a generous holiday and accrued paid-time-off policy; 401k with matching funds; and more
- The ability to grow with and contribute to a creative, collaborative team on the cutting edge of one of the key issues facing our nation today
- The ability to partner and meet with America’s most notable organizations and leaders in every sector
HOW TO APPLY
Please send cover letter and resume to [email protected] attn: Define American Hiring Team, with the words “Digital Organizing Director” and your name in the subject line
NOTE: Define American goes through an incredibly intentional process for hiring new team members and will accept applications on a rolling basis until the position is filled. Thank you for your patience and interest in joining our family of cultural change-makers!