Join the Define American team
All job, internship, and fellowship postings will be added to this page. If you have an unsolicited proposal for an internship or a volunteer project, please email your portfolio of work with your proposal to [email protected]
At Define American, we’re building an America that belongs to any person who calls this country home. With thousands of supporters across the country, we are building a country that embraces and welcomes all people, giving them an opportunity to practice citizenship regardless of the circumstances of their birth. For us, citizenship is not the possession of papers, or lack thereof; it is belonging to a community that loves, and having the opportunity to realize families’ dreams. And this citizenship cannot be defined by one’s bloodline and or the soil within our borders because it is created every day through the work, ideals, and values and participation of all who seek the American experience.
If you share that vision, we want you to join our movement.
Define American is the nation’s leading nonprofit immigration advocacy and culture change organization that fights injustice and anti-immigrant hate through the power of storytelling and narrative change. Through media consulting and creation, grassroots organizing, and event curation, Define American jumpstarts widespread and culture change around citizenship, race, and identity in a changing America.
Our team is made up of amazing, smart, caring people who challenge one another on a daily basis and believe deeply in our mission.
We are an equal opportunity employer and 501(c)(3) non-profit charitable organization. We encourage applications from all individuals regardless of age, gender, race, ethnicity, religion, or sexual orientation, and evaluate all candidates based on merit.
Digital Content Internship
Must be a member of a Define American Chapter to apply.
Our Digital Content Interns will be working with the Digital and Campaigns/Chapters departments at Define American to produce digital content for our campaigns and programs. During the program period, interns will develop community organizing skills and uplift local positive and accurate immigrant narratives. In the long-term, Define American hopes to foster regional culture change and strengthen college chapters as local bastions against anti-immigrant hate.
Responsibilities for this position:
- Seek out stories on campus and in their community that are relevant to ongoing campaigns and programs.
- Post a variety of content across social media platforms that engages with Define American’s work.
- Record video or take photos of actions, events, etc. as needed.
- Complete some light research for certain campaigns and programs and report back to Define American staff.
- Attendance at major Define American events, such as the Define American Film Festival and Chapters Summit, as well as events local to each intern.
- Develop an innovative online fundraising campaign as a group and raise $500 each over the course of the internship.
- Take part in brief weekly meetings with Valeria and Julián, of the Chapters and Campaigns team, to discuss priorities/plans from DA and to gather stories/ideas/challenges.
- The interns will report to Julián and Valeria, of the Chapters & Campaigns team, but tasks for interns will be set and evaluated jointly with the Communications team, Sarah in particular.
- Spring Semester, beginning in January. Time commitment is 4 hours per week.
Benefits for Interns:
- $900 stipend, paid in two payments of $450 each
- Flexible, remote work environment
- Travel and lodging to attend major Define American events, such as the Define American Film Festival and Chapters Summit, as well as relevant events local to each intern.
- Interns will be able to build their digital media portfolio
- Opportunities to learn from and contribute to a creative, collaborative team on the cutting edge of one of the key issues facing our nation today.
How to Apply:
- Applicants must send cover letter and resume to [email protected] attn: Define American Hiring Team, with the words “Digital Content Intern Application” and their name in the subject line
- The interns will begin in January, a week before their respective Spring semesters begin.
Define American is seeking an experienced, energetic and multi-talented leader to join its team as a full-time communications manager.
The communications manager will report directly to the communications director and work closely with communications team. This individual will collaborate with a team of staff and consultants specializing in communications, PR and digital engagement. The communications manager will work on media outreach and strategic initiatives for Define American, which has already become a leading national media and culture organization in the immigration and citizenship space. Required travel 10-20%.
- Media Outreach: Building and maintaining relationships and lists of journalists, producers, and editors particularly in large national media outlets. Pitching story ideas, developing press releases, and drafting talking points. Facilitating interviews with organization spokespersons.
- Strategy: Analysis of news media and execution of campaigns that engage the media around language and thoughtful storytelling. Maximizing key opportunities to help shape the way America sees immigrants, views its identity, and values citizenship.
- Presentation: In coordination with the communications team, represent Define American to the general public and aid in the presentation of materials to partners and potential funders.
- Training: In collaboration with other staff, lead trainings as necessary to prepare campaign participants, staff, and partners for media interaction.
- At least three years of progressive responsibilities and experience in a newsroom, conducting media outreach, including experience with rapid response communications.
- BA/BS or higher required: majors in journalism, media and communications a plus
- Bilingual/Multilingual is a plus, particularly if Spanish speaking for engagement
- Valid driver’s license; travel is necessary for this position
Successful candidates will also possess most of the following qualifications:
- Experience navigating fruitful relationships with news organizations and media professionals
- Proven leadership skills
- Keen observer of both popular culture and news media
- Must be an exceptional strategist, adept communicator, expert collaborator, and superior project manager with the ability to build trust, inspire confidence, manage change, and work in partnership with key partners to communicate major initiatives to key stakeholders both within and beyond the organization
- Ability to successfully mitigate unexpected challenges and think outside the box while working with a small, growing team
- Exceptional interpersonal/written, editing and oral communication skills
- Knowledge of the techniques for disseminating information through various channels of communication including print, web, email, video and various existing and new social media channels
- Pre-existing familiarity with trends in immigrant integration, media and culture with an affinity for social justice
- Able to maintain professionalism while facilitating productive conversations with opposing viewpoints
Due to the remote nature of the work, candidates residing in (or willing to relocate to) New York City, Washington, DC, or Louisville to facilitate in-person collaboration and ease of travel are preferred. Applicants throughout the United States will be considered.
- Salary is competitive and commensurate with experience
- Excellent benefits available
- The ability to grow with and contribute to a creative, collaborative team on the cutting edge of one of the key issues facing our nation today
- The ability to partner and meet with America’s most notable organizations and leaders in every sector
HOW TO APPLY
- Please send cover letter and resume to [email protected] attn: Define American Hiring Team, with the words “Communications Manager Application” and your name in the subject line
- NOTE: Define American goes through an incredibly intentional process for hiring new team members and will accept applications on a rolling basis until the position is filled. Thank you for your patience and interest in joining our family of cultural change-makers!
Define American is an equal opportunity employer and 501(c)(3) nonprofit charitable organization. We encourage applications from all individuals regardless of age, gender, race, ethnicity, religion, or sexual orientation, and evaluate all candidates based on merit.