Join the Define American team
Define American is a non-profit media and culture organization that uses the power of story to transcend politics and shift the conversation about immigrants, identity, and citizenship in a changing America. Over the last four years Define American has played a critical part in changing how people around the world talk with one another about citizenship, their communities, and our shared story of human migration. With over 260,000 people interacting with Define American content daily (including CNN, MTV, Fox News, Washington Post, New York Times, Los Angeles Times), we offer the ability to make a lasting impact in a growing organization. So are you ready to join the fight for a more welcoming nation? Our staff makes a positive difference in people’s lives every day.
The leadership team includes award-winning individuals from different sectors who have dedicated their lives to accomplishing the mission of the organization. Define American was co-founded in April 2011 by Jose Antonio Vargas, a Pulitzer Prize winning journalist.
Define American is an equal opportunity employer and 501(c)(3) non-profit charitable organization. We encourage applications from all individuals regardless of age, gender, race, ethnicity, religion, or sexual orientation, and evaluate all candidates based on merit.
Define American is seeking an experienced, energetic and focused individual to join its team as a full-time Events Manager. The successful candidate will help facilitate our event planning strategy to execute events of varying scale.
The Event Manager will report directly to the Chief Operations Officer and work closely with senior staff members and the operations department. Already a leading national media and culture organization in the immigration and citizenship space, this person will expand Define American’s impact for any programs requiring in-person participation.
Required travel: 25-40%.
- Execute events that promote the mission of Define American, build and enhance brand eminence, generate new audiences and leads, and develop relationships. This includes the annual Define American Film Festival.
- Manage event production timelines
- Manage all event planning specific details to include RSVPs, registration process, food and beverage/catering, entertainment, floral, printing, security, seating arrangements, reception set up, linens, transportation, among others
- Work with team members to book and provide support for trainers, speakers, panelists or moderators
- Set up site visits and attend walk-throughs
- Act as the organization’s point person for any local event planners
- Work with operations team on vendor contract and payment management
- Work with operations team and relevant team members to manage budgets
- Work with the development team to secure event sponsorships
- Work with the development team to manage donations and donor cultivation
- Work with digital team to manage ticketing, sales reporting and online promotion
- Act as communication liaison and point person for venues
- Serve as a liaison for technology support onsite and help the production team manage streaming events, vendors and partners as necessary
- Provide follow-up reporting and evaluation around each event
SKILLS AND REQUIREMENTS
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent combination of education and experience required
- 3+ years of related experience required
- 3+ years of marketing skills and experience
- Excellent written and oral communications skills
- Strong attention to detail and organizational skills
- Demonstrated ability to take initiative and interact with all levels of management
- Ability to create deliverables presentable to DA leadership
- Ability to travel
- Ability to work independently and to handle multiple priorities & activities
Successful candidates will also possess most of the following qualifications:
- Experience navigating relationships with event partners
- Proven leadership and management skills
- Ability to successfully mitigate unexpected challenges and think outside the box while working with a small, growing team
- Pre-existing familiarity with trends in immigrant integration, media and culture with an affinity for social justice
Due to the remote nature of the work, candidates residing in (or willing to relocate to) the following cities will be preferred to facilitate in-person collaboration and ease of travel. Applicants throughout the United States will be considered.
- New York City
- San Francisco
- Los Angeles
- Washington, DC
- Salary is competitive and commensurate with experience
- Excellent benefits available
- The ability to grow with and contribute to a creative, collaborative team on the cutting edge of one of the key issues facing our nation today
- The ability to partner and meet with America’s most notable organizations and leaders in every sector
HOW TO APPLY
- Please send cover letter and resume to [email protected], with the words “Events Manager Application” and your name in the subject line
- Will accept applications on a rolling basis until the position is filled
Define American is an equal opportunity employer and 501(c)(3) nonprofit charitable organization. We encourage applications from all individuals regardless of age, gender, race, ethnicity, religion, or sexual orientation, and evaluate all candidates based on merit.