Web & Graphic Designer
Define American is seeking an experienced, passionate, and creative visual storyteller to join our team as a full-time Web and Graphic Designer.
Define American is a non-profit narrative change organization that uses the power of storytelling to humanize conversations about immigrants.
We are looking for an experienced, passionate, and creative visual storyteller to join our team as a full-time Web and Graphic Designer. This position will be responsible for producing innovative visual content for Define American print and digital properties such as web and social media graphics, short videos and animations, infographics/visualizations, presentations, email, and landing pages and web microsites. You should be a strong communicator who can lead artistic development and drive the design process from concept to production in collaboration with programmatic staff, partners and external stakeholders. The ideal candidate is a self-starter with a passion for storytelling, strong attention to detail, meaningful experience in graphic design, and the ability to turn creative strategy into a compelling visual experience for our growing audiences. The Web and Graphic Designer will report to the Communications Director.
- Work schedule: 40 hours per week, Monday – Friday; weekend and evening work may be required on occasion
- Classification: Exempt
- Location: Remote
- Annual Compensation: Starts at $75,000; commensurate with experience
- Department: Strategic Operations, Communications
- Reports to: Communications Director
- Travel: <25%
Who we’re looking for
- An adaptable and highly-motivated self-starter with a curious mind and passion for telling humanizing stories using the latest digital tools.
- A demonstrated commitment to ensuring the stories and experiences of diverse communities and/or immigrants are reflected throughout creative visual campaigns.
- Strong relationship-building and communication skills: ability to listen, ask questions, seek answers, collaborate, provide feedback, and inspire other team members.
- Strong project management and prioritization skills.
- Ability to think creatively and collaboratively to propose design solutions that will help evolve the Define American brand and make our campaigns and initiatives more accessible to a broad audience.
- 4+ years of agency or in-house experience in graphic design and website management for a social justice organization.
- A high-quality portfolio demonstrating a track record of creating compelling visual storytelling content for digital and print, including reports, one-pagers, webpages, and microsites, as well as for Instagram, Twitter, LinkedIn, YouTube, TikTok and Facebook.
- Advanced skills in Adobe Creative Cloud, particularly Photoshop, InDesign, and Illustrator.
- Experience with WordPress CMS, Canva, and Google Analytics.
- Expertise in user experience, visual design and layout, brand adherence, and design principles: composition, typography, color theory, and web/usability standards.
- Experience in project management and the ability to lead projects from ideation through deployment, including providing direction, identifying schedules, determining scope and coordinating resources in collaboration with project staff across the organization.
- Ability to create attractive visual designs from statistics and data.
- Preferred: Experience in video editing and interactive/motion design.
What you’ll do
- Elevate the Define American brand through storytelling and visual design.
- Lead research, concept, design, and production of digital and print collateral for Define American campaigns and initiatives, including web and microsites, email/HTML, newsletters, social media posts, one-pagers, presentations, reports, logos, event promotions, brand collateral and other communications needs.
- Provide technical and project management leadership in the design layout, planning and development of all graphical elements from concept to production.
- Build a visual content strategy for engagement and education of our community base.
- Improve Define American’s web presence and drive engagement with influencers, partners and donors by producing interactive digital content for email, social and web properties.
- Work in partnership with key internal and external stakeholders to deliver meaningful visual experiences and maximize the impact of Define American’s creative brand.
- Collaborate with the Communications Team, Programmatic Pillar Heads, and Define American Leadership to ensure our visual design content and email marketing materials support key campaigns and initiatives.
- Collaborate with the Strategic Growth Team to attract new donors and energize existing donors through creative social media and email campaigns.
Compensation and benefits for full-time employees
- Unlimited PTO for all staff
- Full medical, vision & dental insurance
- 401(k) match
- 12 weeks of fully paid parental leave
- Short & long-term disability coverage
- Life insurance coverage
- Internet + cell phone stipend
- Health & wellness reimbursement
- Television streaming service reimbursement
- Annual office supply stipend
- Professional development stipend
We have posted this opportunity as an Exempt staff role. We will also accept applications from individuals who wish to support Define American’s needs outlined below on an independent contractor (consultant) basis for project-based work in this area, details of which would be negotiated based on the general responsibilities outlined below. Candidates interested in working on a contractor basis should complete the online application and indicate their interest in a contractor agreement there. Note that the items listed under “Compensation and benefits for full-time employees” above are not applicable as part of independent contractor agreements and that such agreements are subject to contracting terms such as LLC contractor business structure and contractor documenting they hold professional liability coverage.
About Define American
Define American is a leading national media and culture nonprofit organization that uses the power of stories to transcend politics and elevate the conversation about immigrants, identity, and citizenship in a changing America. We were founded in 2011 by Pulitzer Prize-winning journalist Jose Antonio Vargas and named one of the world’s most innovative companies by Fast Company in 2019 and 2020.
Define American is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, physical or mental disability, national origin, veteran status, or any other basis covered by appropriate law. All employment is decided on the basis of qualifications, merit, and business need.
NOTE: Define American goes through an incredibly intentional process for hiring new team members and will accept applications on a rolling basis until the position is filled. Thank you for your patience and interest in joining our family of cultural change-makers!