Manager, Digital Storytelling
Define American seeks to expand our Digital Storytelling pillar with the addition of a Manager of Digital Storytelling to assist in the execution of an innovative new strategy that combines new media research and content creation. This role is a combination of production management and administration.
Define American seeks to expand our Digital Storytelling pillar with the addition of a Manager of Digital Storytelling. This position will report directly to the Director of Digital Storytelling and will assist in the execution of an innovative new strategy that combines new media research and content creation. The Manager of Digital Storytelling will contribute to new and ongoing projects under the Digital Storytelling pillar, including but not limited to, partner co-production content, social media influencer recruitment, research assistance, video production management, and assistance with online marketing initiatives. This role is a combination of production management and administration.
The Digital Storytelling program was established in September of 2020 and lives at the intersection of content production, advocacy, and new media scholarship. While this pillar is still relatively new for Define American, the work is robust and growing, and we seek a team player with a positive outlook and willingness to learn and be flexible. There is potential that this position will require some travel for production shoots.
For context, this explainer video details the research that will be the foundation of our content production strategy.
- Work schedule: 40 hours per week, Monday – Friday; occasional weekend and evening work as needed to meet deadlines and support event needs
- Classification: Exempt
- Location: Remote
- Salary: Starts at $75K; commensurate with experience
- Department: Digital Storytelling
- Reports to: Director, Digital Storytelling
- Travel: ~20%
- Coordinate and lead talent outreach for content co-productions
- Assist Director of Digital Storytelling with maintaining partner relationships and project communications including administrative tracking of relationships and strategic communications
- Coordinate production logistics for multiple video projects simultaneously
- Hire and manage external vendors for one-off projects
- Support and attend partner meetings, festivals, and tentpole industry events — managing deliverables, coordinating schedules and logistics when needed
- Track success metrics of content production
- Liaison between talent, production team, and Define American
- Coordinate and collaborate with research team
- Cultivate and manage important relationships with digital media content creators
- 3+ years of television or digital video production
- Talent management and/or casting for digital media projects and experience coordinating logistics for film, TV, or video production
- Experience recruiting and managing social media influencers
- A self-starter who has the ability to work both as a part of a team and independently
- Ability to work remotely
- A proven ability to be self-directed and proactive
- Cultural competency around immigrant communities and/or historically marginalized communities
- Strong communication and writing skills
- Proven expertise in social media and online marketing a plus
- Organizational skills and proficiency in Powerpoint, Excel, project management tools (Asana), and all Google applications a plus
- Adobe software familiarity a plus (Premiere Pro, After Effects, Photoshop)
- Cinematography experience a plus
- Experience planning and executing events is a plus
Compensation and benefits
- Unlimited PTO for all staff
- Full medical, vision & dental insurance
- 401(k) match
- 12 weeks of fully paid parental leave
- Short & long-term disability coverage
- Life insurance coverage
- Internet + cell phone stipend
- Health & wellness reimbursement
- Television streaming service reimbursement
- Annual office supply stipend
- Professional development stipend
NOTE: Define American goes through an incredibly intentional process for hiring new team members and will accept applications on a rolling basis until the position is filled. Thank you for your patience and interest in joining our family of cultural change-makers!
Define American is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, physical or mental disability, national origin, veteran status or any other basis covered by appropriate law. All employment is decided on the basis of qualifications, merit, and business need.