Strategic Communications Project Manager
Define American is seeking an experienced, energetic, and detail-oriented Strategic Communications Project Manager to join our team. This person will be responsible for leading project management of strategic communications initiatives, using an integrated approach to maximize the impact of our narrative change work.
The Strategic Communications Project Manager serves a critical role in enabling effectiveness and efficiency at Define American. This person will assist the Communications Director to lead project management as well as serve as a thought partner in developing overall brand and communications strategy. The Strategic Communications Project Manager will assist the team in implementing departmental systems and processes. Working with communications specialists in design and social, programmatic staff across the organization, and a range of consultants, the Strategic Communications Project Manager provides content expertise, communications support, project management, and cross-functional liaising across our pillars and strategic growth efforts.
- Work schedule: 40 hours per week, Monday – Friday; non-traditional hours may be required at times.
- Classification: Exempt
- Location: Remote
- Annual Compensation: Salary range is $70,000 – $85,000; commensurate with experience
- Department: Strategic Communications
- Reports to: Director of Communications
- Travel: <25%
Who we’re looking for
- An adaptable and highly motivated self-starter with a curious mind and passion for Define American’s mission.
- Excellent project management, action planning and prioritization skills, with meticulous attention to detail and the ability to motivate the team to meet established goals.
- Ability to manage varying scopes of work, resources, schedules, and risk management issues throughout project life cycles to ensure successful and on-time project delivery.
- Experience developing and implementing user-friendly project management systems for streamlined tracking, monitoring and reporting.
- A demonstrated commitment to ensuring the stories and experiences of diverse communities and/or immigrants are reflected throughout communications campaigns.
- Strong relationship-building and communication skills: ability to listen, ask questions, seek answers, collaborate, provide feedback, and inspire other team members.
- Experience with nonprofit operations, program management, external communications, and fundraising helpful.
- Organizational skills and proficiency in project management tools (Asana), PowerPoint, and all Google applications. Experience utilizing Constant Contact and Sprout Social are a plus.
- 5-7 years of demonstrated project management experience for a social justice-oriented nonprofit (in-house or agency), with the ability to juggle multiple projects simultaneously and work in a dynamic and fast-paced environment.
- The ability to lead projects from ideation through deployment, including providing direction, identifying schedules, determining scope and coordinating resources in collaboration with project staff across the organization.
- Meticulous attention to detail, with excellent planning and organizational skills.
- Track record of effective collaboration with diverse internal and external stakeholders and representation of individuals and organizations in communications.
- Demonstrated effectiveness managing a high and sometimes unpredictable volume of work with efficiency using systems to ensure task completion.
- Excitement for innovation and working within ambiguity; willing to ask questions and identify potential solutions.
- Background in communications and excellent writing ability with a proven track record of creating compelling content for storytelling and education purposes.
What you’ll do
The Strategic Communications Project Manager will have a direct and positive impact on the outcomes of Define American by:
- Leading project management efforts for the Communications team for cross-departmental activations (expected 50% of time)
- Project manage cross-departmental research projects and published assets as assigned, ensuring all stakeholders remain in the loop and projects remain on-plan and on-budget or are otherwise updated with relevant agreements, using agreed-upon communication and project management tools.
- Coordinate the requirements and needs of communication assets of all teams involved from ideation through public distribution. Develop and maintain project schedules, internal communications, and monitoring tools to ensure successful outcomes.
- Promote collaboration with internal staff, external vendors, and key partners to optimize flows and results. Coordinate project status meetings as needed.
- Develop and maintain all required project documents, including project plans, schedules, budgets, and resource management plans.
- Produce regular status reports for key projects, including activities, accomplishments, issues, and recommendations to resolve challenges.
- Coordinating consistent communications systems, processes, tools and ways of working to ensure brand cohesion (expected 25% of time)
- Identify and coordinate streamlined systems, templates, toolkits, narratives, and processes to improve departmental efficiency (eg Asana, weekly reports).
- Ensure that communications projects align with organizational priorities, comply with Define American brand standards, and support strategic communications goals
- Partnering with Director of Communication to meet the needs of the department as it continues to grow (expected 25% of time)
- Bring strategic input into a wide range of Communications conversations, serving as a thought partner in planning, decision making, project management, and execution of key priorities.
- Lead the process of developing and implementing high-quality messaging documents, communications materials and other branded products from concept to delivery, working in partnership with the Communications team and programmatic staff.
- Plan and support strategic internal communications campaigns, using an integrated approach to scale impact.
- Coordinate internal learning opportunities for staff in collaboration with the Communications Director by organizing quarterly trainings and workshops on key communications functions (eg media training, social media workshops, etc.).
- Project manage Communications team activities internally. Own tracking of Communications priorities, commitments, and workflows, and represent the Communications team in various meetings.
- Take on challenges and opportunities on behalf of the Director of Communications as appropriate.
Compensation and benefits for full-time employees
- Unlimited PTO for all staff
- Full medical, vision & dental insurance
- 401(k) match
- 12 weeks of fully paid parental leave
- Short & long-term disability coverage
- Life insurance coverage
- Internet + cell phone stipend
- Health & wellness reimbursement
- Television streaming service reimbursement
- Annual office supply stipend
- Professional development stipend
We have posted this opportunity as an Exempt staff role. We will also accept applications from individuals who wish to support Define American’s needs outlined above on an independent contractor (consultant) basis for project-based work in this area, details of which would be negotiated based on the general responsibilities outlined below. Candidates interested in working on a contractor basis should complete the online application and indicate their interest in a contractor agreement there. Note that the items listed under “Compensation and benefits” above are not applicable as part of independent contractor agreements and that such agreements are subject to contracting terms such as LLC contractor business structure and contractor documenting they hold professional liability coverage.
About Define American
Define American is a narrative change organization that uses the power of storytelling to humanize conversations about immigrants. Our advocacy within entertainment, news, and digital media is creating an America where everyone belongs. Define American was founded in 2011 by Pulitzer Prize-winning journalist Jose Antonio Vargas and has been named one of the world’s most innovative companies by Fast Company. For more information about our programmatic work, visit defineamerican.com.
Define American is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, physical or mental disability, national origin, veteran status, or any other basis covered by appropriate law. All employment is decided on the basis of qualifications, merit, and business need.
NOTE: Define American goes through an incredibly intentional process for hiring new team members and will accept applications on a rolling basis until the position is filled. Thank you for your patience and interest in joining our family of cultural change-makers!