Washington, DC – The Define American Film Festival (DAFF) is proud to announce a new panel premiering at DAFF Rewriting Narrative: The Wave Of New Immigrant Stories In Media and Why Representation Matters.
This panel will explore how to change media narratives around immigration in a hyper politicized media environment. As a society, people often form opinions and biases based the content they consume in popular media. How can people change the rules in Hollywood to create a more inclusive and humanized narrative landscape? Actors, writers, and showrunners discuss the obstacles to inclusion and what efforts are underway in Hollywood to effect change.
Our Esteemed Panelists Include:
- Bambadjan Bamba – Actor, Filmmaker, Activist, The Good Place, Black Panther. Bambadjan Bamba is an actor and filmmaker who immigrated from the Ivory Coast with his family fleeing political persecution in 1992. Follow Bambadjan on Twitter @realbambadjan
- Rafael Agustín – Playwright, Screenwriter. Rafael is an award-winning playwright, screenwriter, and producer known for his work on The CW’s Jane The Virgin and his award-winning play N*gger Wetb*ck Ch*nk. Follow Rafael on Twitter @mrrafaelagustin
- Nico Santos – Actor, Writer, Comedian, NBC’s Superstore, Warner Bros.’ Crazy Rich Asians – Nico Santos stars as Mateo on NBC’s hit comedy Superstore and has written for E! Network’s Fashion Police. Follow Nico on Twitter @nicosantoscomic
About the Define American Film Festival
- After seeing the impact of its award-winning documentaries Documented (CNN) and White People (MTV), Define American launched DAFF in 2016 amid growing anti-immigrant sentiment and debate over American values during the Iowa caucuses.
- DAFF has visited a new city every year, including Des Moines and Charlotte, NC in 2017. Dedicated to bringing conversations to cities outside traditionally liberal markets, DAFF uniquely brings together journalists and experts in film and activism to have uncomfortable conversations around citizenship, race and identity in a changing America.
- Since its inception, DAFF has sold out 100% of its screenings, and garnered more than a half-million views of streamed panel discussions, and over 9 million collective impressions across Facebook, Instagram, Snapchat and Twitter. www.defineamerican.com/filmfest